Tuesday 22 May 2012

Robin Gibb (1949-2012): Friend of Israel


About 20 years ago as I was about to address the student body at a British Bible College, three students approached me to ask what organisation I represented. The word in the college corridors was that I was representing a mission to Bee Gees fans! Back then I had fairly thick, longish hair and a beard, and that was the first time I was informed of my resemblance to one of the group (I’m not saying which one!).


In fact, although I still like their first single, New York Mining Disaster 1941, I have never been a fan of the Bee Gees. But I was sad to hear of the death of Robin Gibb of colon cancer, especially because his spiritual beliefs were the opposite of my own. In an interview in March, Gibb admitted to wondering whether his colon cancer might be the ‘karmic price’ he was paying for his enormous success. His wife who, depending on what you read, is a witch or a Druid Princess, tried to cure his cancer with herbal teas before they both recognised his need for chemotherapy. What a tragedy.

The reason I write this, however, is that Robin Gibb was a friend of Israel and the Bee Gees even recorded a song called Israel back in the early Seventies (ante-Saturday Night Fever). Lyrically, Israel leaves a great deal to be desired but it is interesting nonetheless.

The story and links to the song and its lyrics are at Debbie Schlussel's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment